Monday 11 February 2013

Greater Pipefish

The second most asked question I get as an aquarist after "toilet?" is "Do you have any seahorses?" People LOVE seahorses. I know I break their heart when I tell them "No, but...


...we do have Pipefish, which are related to seahorses" (If I wanted to show off I would call them Syngnathus acus, but I don't, because I don't speak Latin well).

Some will fain interest at the animals related to seahorses, others won't look me in the eye, I've been spat at! and children begin to cry... ok, maybe not that drastic. Those that are still interested in these creatures are first to point out that their heads and snouts are a bit like a seahorse! They use these snouts to "vacuum" in their food, they will eat small crustaceans like mysis shrimp- hoovering them up. It's pretty neat to watch, there's a bit of food in front of their face, *vrooom*, now it's gone quick as a flash.

So why is the homelier pipefish awesome? I like these guys because they are gluttons.Actually, that's a bit harsh, we feed them three times a day not because they're greedy, but because they don't actually have stomachs. Yeah, seahorses don't have stomachs either. Food goes in and passes out fairly quickly, so they need a constant supply of food for nourishment.

Feeding time is always fun, there are a lot more in the tank then you would think first glance. They're incredible at camouflaging and finding a nook or cranny to hide in. Then when food is there, they all come out of hiding and you'll see about 19.

Not the information you were looking for? Try MarLIN.ac.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.